Dating in college is difficult enough without trying to also factor in the costs included. Dinner? Anywhere from $20 (dinner for 2 at Applebee’s) to $86 if you go somewhere nice like OHMS in downtown Amarillo. Then you add the $16 cost for movie tickets. That adds up way too quickly. We college kids are way to broke for those kinds of tabs. There has to be a better way.
Dating on a budget can be tricky, but can sometimes be some of the funnest dates to go on. Here are a few date ideas for $30 or less.
- Go hiking at Palo Duro Canyon. The view from the top of the canyon is breathtaking, and it’s a great way to take some time to get to know your date without the pressure of a fancy dinner or symphony setting. This could also be a great double date idea!
- Admission into Palo Duro: $5 a person
- Total: $10
- Volunteer together. The Amarillo SPCA is always needing volunteers, and who doesn’t love playing with puppies and kitties? This date is free, and it is a great way to bond while giving back to the community. (Just make sure your date isn’t afraid to get a little dirty.)
- Cost? $0
3. The Amarillo Botanical Gardens are also another great date idea. For $5 each, you can wander hand-in-hand with your loved one and just take in the wide variety of nature. You can even take your pet if they are on a leash! In the winter, there is Carol of the Lights. Whether spring or winter, this is a great romantic date idea.
- $5 a person
- Total: $10
4. Cadillac Ranch is a super fun idea as well. Take your date out with some spray paint and tag the cars a bit. Leave your mark on Amarillo.FREE!
5. If your date is a little more indoorsy, take her/him to Amarillo Museum of Art. Peruse the various works of art. Whether you are discussing brush strokes or making up stories behind the pieces, this can be a great first or hundredth date. The art is not always going to be the same, so this date can be reused more than once. Another plus? There is no charge for admission!
6. Bowling! The friendly competition will keep you entertained through the evening, and the pizza is pretty good too.
- You can check out the different specials Western Bowl offers throughout the week here.
7. Go look at the stars. Lay out a blanket, grab a thermos and spend the evening stargazing.
8. Brush With Art is a great hands-on artsy date. You can go in, pick out your own piece and then paint to your heart’s content. There is a small painting fee, and then you pay for the piece you paint. This one can get a little pricier, but it just depends on what you paint.
- Painting fee: $6
- Cost for the piece: $3 and up
There are so many different ideas for date night even here in Amarillo. It just takes a little bit of digging to find the hidden treasures Amarillo has to offer. Not everything has to break the bank. Being an adult does that all on its own without the extra costs attached to dating, so don’t be afraid to be cheap. There is still plenty of fun to be had.